A dip for every occasion: you can conjure up a delicious yogurt dip from yogurt in just a few simple steps. It tastes good with potatoes, vegetables, bread, and fish, is great for dipping when grilling, becomes particularly creamy with sour cream, and can be refined with herbs, for example.
Yogurt dip – basic recipe
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 250 g yogurt (whole milk or cream yogurt )
- 100 g sour cream (alternatively crème fraîche or yogurt)
- Lemon juice
- Ingredients to refine (see below)
How to do it
Mix the yogurt and sour cream. Season the yogurt dip with 1-2 teaspoons each of sugar and salt, as well as a splash of lemon juice and pepper. Refine with other ingredients if you like.
Simply refine the yogurt dip
The yogurt dip is a great base, now you can really accelerate with the other ingredients. The addition of herbs, garlic, and spices is particularly popular. So that their aromas can fully develop, you should let the dip steep for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Combine according to your taste:
- Fresh herbs (finely chopped): parsley, mint, thyme, cress, basil, chives, dill, coriander
- Spices: garlic, curry, paprika, chili, cayenne pepper, oregano (dried), cumin. ginger
- Vegetables (finely chopped or grated): peppers, cucumber, radishes, sun-dried tomatoes, mashed avocado
- Extras: honey, mustard, tomato paste, organic lemon zest, olives (chopped), olive oil
Yogurt Dip Recipes around the Globe
Great recipes for yogurt dips can be found on almost every continent in the world. The Greeks prepare the famous tzatziki, for example, with lots of garlic, cucumber, and Greek yogurt with high-fat content. In the oriental variant, which is served with falafel, for example, cumin and mint should not be missing, whereas the ingredients of Indian raita are very flexible, but often prepared with cucumber, finely grated carrots, or peppers.