Ayyayaya, Coco-Jambo ayyayai! Do you have a catchy tune now? How nice, because a bowl of this soul food soup with the oriental-flavored balls from the oven goes perfectly with it.
- 250 g Mountain lenses
- 3 Onions
- 50 g Walnut kernels
- 6 stems parsley
- 3 tbsp Coconut oil
- ground cumin, chili flakes, salt, pepper, sweet paprika, turmeric
- 5 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 2 can (s) (425 ml each) chunky tomatoes
- 1 can (s) (200 ml each) unsweetened coconut milk
- 6 stems oregano
- Parchment paper
- Cook the lentils in water for about 30 minutes until soft. Drain well. Peel and finely dice onions. Chop nuts. Wash and chop parsley.
- Preheat the oven (electric stove: 200 ° C / convection: 180 ° C / gas: see manufacturer). Line the tray with baking paper. Sauté 1⁄3 diced onion in 1 tbsp oil. Fry 1 tablespoon of cumin, nuts, and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste briefly. Mix the onion mix, lentils, and parsley. Season with 1⁄2 teaspoon of chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Shape the mixture into 12–16 balls, squeezing out the liquid well. Bake on the tray in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic. Braise the rest of the onions in 2 tablespoons of oil. Sweat 1 teaspoon paprika and 1⁄2 teaspoon each of cumin and turmeric. Stir in maple syrup and 3 tablespoons of tomato paste. Pour in the tomatoes, 100 ml coconut milk, and 400 ml water, bring to the boil. Approx. Simmer for 5 minutes, mashed lightly if necessary. Wash oregano, chop. Serve the soup with the rest of the coconut milk, lentil balls, and oregano.